Thursday, February 16, 2012

I Finished a Book Today!

Today was one of my "lazy days." By "lazy day" by no means to I mean that I was lazy. But I do mean that I got to do something I enjoy--I got to sit down and read a book, or at least part of one. Actually, I finished the book. For some people, sitting down and reading a book is no big deal. But with cooking, cleaning and caring for two toddlers, sitting down to read is a luxury. I am fortunate to live in an age of audio books because this allows me to read and still do the active duties around the house.

Today I just finished a book called Homeschooling for Excellence by David and Micki Colfax. I would highly recommend it to anybody who is considering homeschooling or has the honest questions about homeschooling that many individuals do who have little familiarity with the idea. I found it to be helpful in some of the practical ideas of how to make learning a part of every day without it being a chore, and in the lists of recommended reading material/resources. Some of the dictionaries listed would be very interesting. (Why didn't I know about these sooner?!)

I recently read The Meaning of Marriage by Timothy Keller. Another great book! I think this book puts marriage into perspective even for single people in a way that is helpful in our modern society that doesn't really know how to look at marriage and why.

I am reading for the third time The Count of Monte Cristo. I am listening to this in audio form. For a book with 119 chapters, I really can't sit down and read it through at this point in my life very easily, although I keep meaning to purchase an unabridged hard copy for reference, especially where the spellings of words or names are foreign and where there are footnotes to other great authors! I have enjoyed the majority of the works of Robert Louis Stevenson since I was 12, and always pointed to his books as my favorites. They still are in my top favorites, but I have to say, The Count of Monte Cristo seems to top them by at least a little bit. The plot is so thick and all the characters are so tangled into a web of cross-interaction that I can't help but enjoy it, along with the life story of Edmond Dantes. I think Dumas is making some comparisons to Dante's Inferno because he mentions Dante several times (and I think more than any of the other authors he mentions, but I want to double check to be sure.) and because poetic justice is one of the primary themes of the book.

Well, okay, time to check the crock pot. I love cooking in the crock pot because it saves on time, but I have one problem: getting motivated to put food in it early enough to cook it in time for supper, so I don't use it nearly as often as I would like to. I think I will put crock pot meals as my theme for next week's grocery list and actually write out the menus so I have a plan to follow and see if it improves my kitchen experience in the short term.

No comments:

Post a Comment